Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Quick Sketch & Render to start the day; Dodge Viper

Quick sketch & render to start the day here of what a Dodge Viper might look like in a parallel universe. This is also a good example of why I think versatility is very important; With the amount of tools available now it seems unwise to limit yourself to only those tools you understand best. Branch out, try new things, try new mediums, and make mistakes- it's all part of learning. I think there's a lot of misconception about staying true to a medium, technique or style and this is part of what limits some people from doing more then what people already recognize of them. I think medium and technique changes are a fantastic display of knowledge, and in the design & render world versatility is really important right now. I work with a number of builders that prefer a digital platform for their renderings to give some design flexibility and space to make changes more easily. I also work with lots of builders who prefer a hand drawn traditional illustration- it's all personal preference, but if you havent opened your mind to the idea that you can offer your services in a variety of ways, wake up! When I do my digital renderings I am using a Wacom Cintiq which allows me to use a pen directly on to the screen where I select marker & airbrush tools to create artwork that very much has the look and feel of what I would do on paper. The bigger advantage at times is complete range of colors (im not limited to what markers are available) and no dry times so I can put in a dynamic, saturated background to enhance the concept with no apprehension. With that said, the digital platform isnt yet my go-to, even tho I do it regularly when jobs call for it. But as the technology improves I will likely get more involved with it to keep up with the times and because I love learning new things.

Okay I'm done ranting- just remember to try new things and dont be discouraged if you dont get it on the 1st try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment